The professor for the course I’m currently taking on Poetics (Writing on Writing) gave us an assignment: pick an essay about writing that we personally found “inspirational” and share it with the rest of the class.
While this list isn’t complete, and some of the links don’t point to the essays themselves but only to excerpts and/or commentary, here are some of those pieces, the first one being my own selection:
- “Got Punked: Rebellious Verse” by Chad Davidson
- “The Poem and Its Secret” by Durs Grünbein
- “The Bird is in Your Hands” by Toni Morrison
- “Jazz Messenger” by Haruki Murakami
- To Invigorate Literary Mind, Start Moving Literary Feet” by Joyce Carol Oates
- “Incremental Perturbation: How to Know Whether You’ve Got a Plot or Not” by John Barth